- Ya Li, Jianhua Tao, Wei Lai, and Xiaoying Xu (2017). Quantitative intonation modeling of interrogative sentences for Mandarin speech synthesis. Speech Communication, 89, 92-102. [PDF]
- Ya Li, Jianhua Tao, Keikichi Hirose, Xiaoying Xu, and Wei Lai (2015). Hierarchical stress modeling and generation in mandarin for expressive Text-to-Speech. Speech Communication, 72, 59-73.
- Wei Lai, Peter Racz, Gareth Roberts. Experience with a linguistic variant affects the acquisition of its sociolinguistic meaning: An alien-language-learning experiment.
- Wei Lai, Jianjing Kuang. Speaker Gender Effect on Cantonese Level Tone Perception.
- Jiahong Yuan, Wei Lai, Chris Cieri and Mark Liberman (2018). Using Forced Alignment for Phonetics Research.
- Wei Lai, Mark Liberman and Qianxin He (2019), Compensation for F0 variation with vocal effort and vowel height in Cantonese tone perception. In Proc. ICPhS 2019, (pp. 1972-1976). [PDF]
- Wei Lai, Peter Racz and Gareth Roberts (2019), Unexpectedness makes a sociolinguistic variant easier to learn: An alien-language-learning experiment. In Proc. CogSci 2019, (pp. 604-610). [PDF]
- Wei Lai (2018), Voice Gender Effect on Tone Categorization and Pitch Perception. In Proc. TAL2018, Sixth International Symposium on Tonal Aspects of Languages (pp. 103-107). [PDF]
- Wei Lai (2017). Auditory-visual integration of talker gender in Cantonese tone perception. In Proc. of Interspeech 2017, (pp. 664-668). [PDF]
- Wei Lai, Mark Liberman, Jiahong Yuan and Xiaoying Xu (2016). Prosodic strength intrinsic to lexical items: A corpus study on tone reduction in Tone4+ Tone4 words in Mandarin Chinese. In Chinese Spoken Language Processing (ISCSLP), 10th International Symposium on (pp. 1-5). IEEE. [PDF]
- Wei Lai, Jiahong Yuan, Ya Li, Xiaoying Xu, and Mark Liberman (2016). The Rhythmic Constraint on Prosodic Boundaries in Mandarin Chinese Based on Corpora of Silent Reading and Speech Perception. In Proc. of Interspeech 2016 (pp. 87-91). [PDF]
- Wei Lai and Laura Dilley (2016). Cross-linguistic generalization of the distal rate effect: Speech rate in context affects whether listeners hear a function word in Chinese Mandarin. In Proceedings of Speech Prosody (Vol. 8).
- Wei Lai and Jianjing Kuang (2016). Prosodic grouping in Chinese trisyllabic structules by multiple cues -- coarticulation, tone sandhi and consonant lenition. Tonal Aspects of Languages 2016, 157-161. [PDF]
- Jiahong Yuan, Xiaoying Xu, Wei Lai and Mark Liberman (2016). Pauses and pause fillers in Mandarin monologue speech: The effects of sex and proficiency. Proceedings of Speech Prosody 2016, 1167-1170. [PDF]
- Jiahong Yuan, Xiaoying Xu, Wei Lai, Weiping Ye, Xinru Zhao and Mark Liberman (2015). Sentence selection for automatic scoring of Mandarin proficiency. In Proceedings of the Eighth SIGHAN Workshop on Chinese Language Processing (pp. 21-25).
- Wei Lai, Xiaoying Xu, Ya Li, Che, H., Shanfeng Liu, and Jianhua Tao (2014). Phonological influences on the realization of final lowering: Evidence from dialogue Chinese Mandarin. In 17th Oriental Chapter of the International Committee for the Co-ordination and Standardization of Speech Databases and Assessment Techniques (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Wei Lai, Ya Li, Che, H., Shanfeng Liu, Jianhua Tao, and Xiaoying Xu (2014). Final lowering effect in questions and statements of Chinese Mandarin based on a large-scale natulal dialogue corpus Analysis. Proc. 7th Speech Prosody, 653-657. [PDF]
- Ya Li, Jianhua Tao, Keikichi Hirose, Wei Lai and Xiaoying Xu (2014). Hierarchical stress generation with Fujisaki model in expressive speech synthesis. Proc. 7th Speech Prosody, 1032-1036.