- Wei Lai, Mark Liberman and Qianxin He. Compensation for F0 variation with vocal effort and vowel height in Cantonese tone perception Internaltional Congress of Phonetic Sciences ICPhS 2019, Melboulne, Australia. 2019. [slides]
- Wei Lai, Peter Racz amd Gareth Roberts. Unexpectedness makes a sociolinguistic variant easier to learn: An alien-language-learning experiment. The 41st Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society, Montreal, Canada. 2019.
- Wei Lai and Meredith Tamminga. Individual differences in simultaneous compensation for coarticu-latory and lexical cues. The 5th Workshop of Sound Change, UC Davis, CA. 2019. [slides]
- Wei Lai, Peter Racz and Gareth Roberts. Experience with a linguistic variant affects the acquisition of its sociolinguistic meaning: An alien-language-learning experiment. 93th Linguistic Society of America, New York City, NY. 2019. [slides]
- Wei Lai, Peter Racz and Gareth Roberts. Prior experience with a linguistic variant affects the acquisition of its social meaning: An experimental simulation using alien language learning. New Ways of Analyzing Variation 47, New York City, NY. 2018. [slides]
- Wei Lai. Gender stereotypes affect the perception of tone and pitch. New Ways of Analyzing Variation 47, New York City, NY. 2018. [slides]
- Wei Lai. Voice gender effect on tone categorization and pitch perception. 6th International Symposium on Tonal Aspects of Languages. Berlin, German. 2018. [slides]
- Wei Lai and Mark Liberman. A rhythmic constraint on prosodic boundaries in Mandarin Chinese based on corpora of silent reading and speech perception. 92th Linguistic Society of America, Salt Lake City, UT. 2018. [slides]
- Wei Lai. Auditory-visual integration of talker gender in Cantonese tone perception. 92th Linguistic Society of America, Salt Lake City, UT. 2018. [slides]
- Meredith Tamminga, Lacey Wade and Wei Lai. Stability and variability in phonetic flexibility. 92th Linguistic Society of America, Salt Lake City, UT. 2018.
- Wei Lai, Jiahong Yuan, Ya Li, Xiaoying Xu and Mark Liberman. The rhythmic constraint on prosodic boundaries in mandarin Chinese Based on corpora of silent reading and speech perception. Interspeech 2016. San Francisco, CA. 2016.
- Wei Lai, Mark Liberman, Jiahong Yuan and Xiaoying Xu.Prosodic strength intrinsic to lexical items: A corpus study on tone reduction in Tone4+Tone4 words in Mandarin Chinese. 10th Chinese Spoken Language Processing (ISCSLP). Tianjin, China. 2016. [poster]
- Wei Lai and Laula Dilley (2016). Cross-linguistic generalization of the distal rate effect: Speech rate in context affects whether listeners hear a function word in Chinese Mandarin. 8th Speech Prosody. Boston, MA. 2016. [poster]
- Wei Lai and Jianjing Kuang (2016). Prosodic grouping in Chinese trisyllabic structules by multiple cues -- coarticulation, tone sandhi and consonant lenition. Tonal Aspects of Languages 2016. Buffalo, NY. 2016. [poster]
- Wei Lai, Xiaoying Xu, Ya Li, Hao Che, Shanfeng Liu, and Jianhua Tao (2014). Phonological influences on the realization of final lowering evidence from dialogue Chinese Mandarin. 17th Co-ordination and Standardization of Speech Databases and Assessment Techniques (COCOSDA) . Phuket, Thailand. 2014.
- Wei Lai, Ya Li, Che, H., Shanfeng Liu, Jianhua Tao, and Xiaoying Xu. Final lowering effect in questions and statements of Chinese Mandarin based on a large-scale natulal dialogue corpus Analysis. 7th Speech Prosody. Dublin, Ireland. 2014.
- Ya Li, Jianhua Tao, Keikichi Hirose, Wei Lai and Xiaoying Xu. Hierarchical stress generation with Fujisaki model in expressive speech synthesis. 7th Speech Prosody. Dublin, Ireland. 2014.