Penn-Helsinki Parsed Corpus of Middle English, 2nd edition, release 4
Kroch, Anthony, Ann Taylor, and Beatrice Santorini.
The Penn-Helsinki Parsed Corpus of Middle English (PPCME2).
Department of Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania.
CD-ROM, second edition, release 4
We are grateful to the following institutions and individuals for their
support and assistance:
- The National Science Foundation for NSF Grants BNS 89-19701 and SBR 95-11368.
- The University of Pennsylvania Research Foundation for
- The users of the Penn parsed historical corpora for their
financial support in purchasing the corpus.
- Our colleagues at the University of Helsinki, especially to
Prof. Matti Rissanen, the project's emeritus director, for
his permission to use the Middle English part of the Helsinki Corpus of
English and for his enthusiasm toward our project, though it was far
from his own interests; also to
Dr. Merya Kytö.
- Mike Collins, now of the Computer Science and Artificial
Intelligence Laboratory at MIT, for permission to use his Penn
dissertation parser and for adapting it to our needs.
- Beth Randall for writing the CorpusSearch program, without
which the corpus would not be useable for research.
- Rhona Alcorn and Robert Truswell for their help in parsing
a few recalcitrant passages.
- The users of the corpus who reported errors to us, notably
Hezekiah Bacovcin, Aaron Ecay, Robert Truswell, and Joel Wallenberg,
thereby allowing us to improve the quality of the corpus over time.