Julie Anne Legate
PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2002
Professor of Linguistics
Natural Language & Linguistic Theory.
Chair of Undergraduate Studies in Linguistics
Office Hour: Thursdays 1:30-2:30
610 Williams Hall
Department of Linguistics
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
jlegate standard-preposition ling.upenn.edu
My research is in syntactic theory, and the syntax and morphology of
endangered/understudied/typologically interesting languages. I have
secondary research interests in language acquisition.
What I do (for non-linguists):
Mapping the Boundaries of Human Language
- Noncanonical passives. See below 2014 MIT Press
monograph. Also email me for a handout that expands on the material
in the book.
- Recursion. See below 2014 Language paper, coauthored with David
Pesetsky and Charles Yang, replying to Levinson 2013.
Also, here is
the core of an argument for clausal recursion in and embedding of finite
clauses in Warlpiri: Clausal
Recursion and Embedding in Warlpiri. In a slightly different form,
it appears buried in section 3.2 of my 2011 paper in Syntax :
Warlpiri Wh-Scope Marking
- Under-Inheritance, whereby the A-features fail to be inherited by T,
versus Over-Inheritance, whereby both the A- and A'- features of C are
inherited by T. Here's a NELS talk:
Under-Inheritance. Also see the appendix to Chapter 3
of the below 2014 MIT Press monograph.
Voice and v: Lessons from Acehnese. MIT Press.
- 2014. Split ergativity based
on nominal type. Lingua 148.
- 2014. (with
David Pesetsky and
Charles Yang) Recursive
misrepresentations: A reply to Levinson (2013). Language
- 2012. Subjects in Acehnese and the
Nature of the Passive. Language 88.
- 2012. (with
Charles Yang) Assessing Child and Adult Grammar.
In Robert C. Berwick & Massimo Piatelli-Palmarini (eds.), Rich
Languages from Poor Inputs: In Honor of Carol Chomsky. Oxford:
Oxford University Press. (On the acquisition of stress in the
presence of exceptions.)
- 2012. Types of Ergativity. Lingua
- 2011. Warlpiri Wh-Scope Marking.
- 2010. On how how is used instead
of that. Natural Language & Linguistic
- 2008. Morphological and Abstract Case.
Linguistic Inquiry 39.1.
- 2008. Warlpiri and the Theory of Second
Position Clitics. Natural Language & Linguistic Theory
- 2007. (with
Charles Yang) Morphosyntactic
Learning and the Development of Tense. Language
- 2005 Split Absolutive In Alana Johns,
Diane Massam, and Juvenal Ndayiragije,
Ergativity: Emerging Issues. Kluwer. (link is to
(This is sometimes cited as 2003 Split Ergativity in Warlpiri)
- 2005. (with
Charles Yang) The richness of the
poverty of the stimulus at the LSA Institute,
Happy Golden Anniversary, Generative Syntax Workshop
- 2005 Phases and Cyclic Agreement In Martha McGinnis &
Norvin Richards (eds.), Perspectives on Phases . MITWPL.
- 2003 Some Interface Properties of the
Phase. Linguistic Inquiry 34.3.
- 2003 The Morpho-Semantics of Warlpiri
Counterfactual Conditionals. Linguistic Inquiry 34.1.
- 2003 The Configurational Structure of a
Nonconfigurational Language. Linguistic Variation Yearbook.
- 2002.(with Charles
Yang) Empirical Re-Assessment of
Stimulus Poverty Arguments. Linguistic Review 19, 151-162.
- 2002. My dissertation: Warlpiri:
- 1999 The Morphosyntax of Irish Agreement.
In Karlos Arregi,
Benjamin Bruening, Cornelia Krause, and Vivian Lin (eds), Papers
on Morphology and Syntax, Cycle One. MITWPL. (link is to